Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My 2 Dads, Man of Steel edition.






I'm not a big fan of Zack Synders Man of Steel for a lot of reasons. But primarily I think its the character of Jonathan Kent that makes me feel like the movie really fell short.
(Spoiler Alert)
Unfortunately that put this idea in my head that wouldn't dislodge without seeing it put to paper. Man of Steel the movie is, what it is, I present here simply an alternate "what if" version. I thought the death of Jonathan Kent was unnecessary and put the character of superman and his upbringing in to an unfavourable light. To me what the movie seemed to be trying to do was present a father son story and had two big stars (Russell Crow and Kevin Costner) portraying the fathers. Why not have them meet, and talk about there mutual son? I feel like they needed Jonathan to accept his son as an alien who has a calling and higher purpose now instead of "one day". He needed to let go instead of dying in a tornado never really accepting his son.  And Jor-El needed a scene where he gives permission for his son to forget krypton and accept his new home, earth,(leading maybe to his earth persona the wimpy Clark Kent?). And because both fathers could have met through Jor-Els projected self that scene could have happened. 
Which brings me to the above comic. In this version of course, Jonathan doesn't die(he's saved by Clark from the tornado). also Zod never does his "you are not alone" thing, they simply come to earth scan for Kal's ship and goes to Kansas. This unfortunately gets rid of Lois Lanes character for most of the movie but they can meet as lois and clark in the sequel. 

No comments: